The Advanced Health Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) has lead the work on safe opiate prescribing in Coos and Curry County for nearly a decade.
Advanced Health’s efforts to increase safe opioid prescribing include:
- Involvement in the Southern Oregon CCO Statewide Opioid Performance Improvement Project Collaborative
- Providing continuing education events for pharmacists on Naloxone prescribing
- Collaboration on the Southwestern Oregon Opioid Summit
The Summit began the process of aligning community efforts to address opioid use by focusing on the following goals:
- Reducing pills in circulation
- Identifying approaches to treat opioid dependence
- Raising public awareness about opioid dangers and non-pharmacologic therapies for pain management
An interdisciplinary work group to address opiate abuse and overdose prevention convened in 2016, as well as a drug disposal task force. The task force leveraged resources and built on local expertise to create sustainable strategies that meet the above goals.